Thursday 12 July 2012

In honour of my lovely friend's wedding week, a little story about my proposal..

So, I think you must know by know, we got married in Vegas - two years ago in September for any of you that are counting. It wasn't something we had planned for months or even ever thought about before. It was all a bit backwards. 

My lovely husband went on a business trip to Houston, Texas, and because he is a lovely husband he went in to De Beers. He bought me an incredibly pretty diamond pendant necklace and goodness me I was pleased when I got it. But, it was a little shorter than I would prefer so we agreed I could change it. Then I saw this ring. This rather beautiful, awfully perfect ring. 






And somehow or other we agreed it would be just right as an engagement ring. I can't even remember who suggested it. If it was me, and it quite possibly was, I would like to say that it wasn't in a pushy way. Actually.


So as it turns out, they don't have De Beers in Norway, so as I was in London the following week I went to buy it myself. Yep, for realz. I didn't tell the girl it would be an engagement ring, I really couldn't think of anything more desperate than going to buy an engagement ring on your own. Without an actual other half with you. Imagine all the pity. Very Miss Haversham.






A few days later I was back in Norway and handed the ring over to my then-boyfriend-not-yet-fiance. We talked about a wedding and whilst I love me a bit of attention I suddenly panicked a bit at the thought of getting married in front of actual people. Even actual people that I actually like. So we decided on Vegas. And from there it went super fast. We only did this a few weeks before we actually went so that we could get married on the anniversary of the day we met. Super cute and awfully efficient, only one date to remember.


Anyway, the point of all of this was the proposal. It was, of course, perfect. After the necklace, after the ring, after the Vegas deciding, my then-boyfriend-not-yet-fiance asked me to marry him when we were home, just the two of us. Then the kids came over later that day and it was all very lovely. 


Oh and spoiler alert, I did say yes...

No comments:

Post a Comment